Friday, February 20, 2009

Let the journey BEGIN! Part 6

Last entry for severe week-hopping, I swear! Right now I am a little nervous thinking about tomorrow, as I did something either very brave or just extremely foolhardy and signed myself up for joining the Irish movie extras and they're coming through town tomorrow to do photoshoots..! I walked through the city for the good part of the afternoon looking for a clothes brush - brought souvenirs of my cats with me it seems - which I probably could have done without, but you know once you start a mission..
Yesterday was a bit of a drizzle so I ventured off and matched the weather by visiting the Kilmainham Jail. Very good absorbing tour that takes you through the old sections that once celled all the leaders of the 1916 Irish rebellion down the streets of Dublin. 90% of them were executed there too. There were some parts of the museum I found myself wandering that were absolutely deserted, which really helped with the eerieness. Probably my favourite touristry stop so far. Though getting a bus back to the city centre proved interesting. At least I can say the trekking of western Dublin is done. What is with 'set down only' stops positioned exactly when you need a pick up one!
Luckily I got back in time, cos.. we going out tonight! Host aunt took me to the Uni's musical of Guys and Dolls, :D v. fun, and we did some mingling with some of her colleagues and the young students. One of them I was talking to at interval said he was really enjoying it but please excuse him, he's off to the bar now..

Sunday, 25th January: Cootehill - Dublin

Even before the sun had woken up, the day was keen to show us what it could do, and when we looked out the window.. snow! The car had been covered in a full on layer of it too and I was teetering round it questioning the grip of my shoes.







This forboding-looking beaut of a stonework we came across in the morning wasn't going to let us in that easily.




The big historical site of today was Monasterboise, which is a monastic centre; or as Grandma misheard, a spastic centre. Yes, this is where they sent all the 'special' monks. To read and quill at their own pace.












Later on, one of the castles on the Grandad's Tour list (Slane Castle, I believe) had some kind of 'castle not open today' sign on the archway. But seeing as there was no physical obstruction barring our way we figured why not just drive down the very long foresty lane and have a look. On the other side of the forest there were lots of car at the front of the castle, and it was when I noticed the ribbons running down a few of the classy old ones that I thought 'oh crap, we're gonna end up interrupting a wedding here'.. But no, all was good and the wedding continued on peacefully inside while we scouted the area taking photos.



After a final afternoon of countryside vehicular gallivanting, we hit the urbans of Dublin in the evening and went out for a final dinner all together before I officially started being an au pair. This particular restaurant has awesome beef and guinness pie, and the three little scoops there disguising as ice-cream are the tayties!

No comments:

Post a Comment