Saturday, February 28, 2009

Hunt for the Musical Society..and the ones that didn't get in

Is it really so much to ask for a musical society that is 1. Not 1.5 hours away via public transport, 2. Not just about to perform a production, and 3. Providing its contact details ANYWHERE on the internet?? Evidently so. But I've just emailed another 5 in the last evening, after combing the regional list yet again, so if nothing comes of that, then I deem the luck of the Irish a myth.

This week after one au pairing afternoon of getting my hair brushed (or technically yanked) profusely and dressed up to be the bride Sophie off Mamma Mia, I trekked out to one of these societies that IS 1.5 hours away. What was I thinking... Was I thinking?! The call for chorus members of their just-starting-rehearsals Pirates of Penzance production was too magnetising. Just imagine! I would have got there earlier if for starters I had checked the map an turned down the right street.. then there was the DART train to way up the coast, then waiting to change DART trains, then DARTing a bit more, then walking to music hall, then going around and trying other entrance; all in all 1.5 hours. Oyoyoy!
Such a grand adventure though, and arriving at a warm jovial musical society who seemed quite overwhelmed that this girl had not only come from across the globe to the rehearsal, but an extra 1.5 hours north. Talk about deserved brownie points.


On a completely different note (now that was a very stubborn pun), when I left the house after lunch my ears were immediately bombarded with a very flat, very loud, rendition of Amazing Grace hollering out from what I could only guess was the next few doors down. It was clear, it was confident, and it was certainly sung with oomph. And suspicions of alcoholic consumption. I passed door after door and still it was up ahead. When I got to the corner I was amazed to find how far away the origin actually was. The large old man with even larger lungs was sitting at the bus stop, at the very end of the street and across the road, lolling placidly on his seat, belting out this anthem to the whole neighbourhood. The bus stop was right in front of a retirement home and he seemed suspiciously like a celebrating escapee of the place.
Maybe he's considering founding an Elderly Peoples Musical Society, and believes in active advertising.

No comments:

Post a Comment