Tuesday, April 28, 2009

From Galway to a college celebration - what craic;)

Am happy to say have just gotten back from a musical society choir that I think I can keep a permanent position in - hooray! We're going to be competing in a choir show-down thing in New Ross (a few counties south)in a few weeks, hopefully taking one big bus down and dominating the highway with song. =) There's a big map of the world on the rehearsal room wall and someone's stuck a sort of penpal profile on Australia. It looks so brave and independent a country if I ever did see one.


Last weekend I caught a pretty snazzy but packed train over to Galway to stay with my friend Aisling; who of all things lives next to a castle ruin. We went trekking through the paddocks around it and for my exploration I was rewarded a lovely deep cow pat underfoot, having been distracted by a manic swan having a fit on the lake. +( My poor cons are certainly on their way to heaven by now..
I was treated to an extreme weekend of 'the irish like to turn in late then get up and have lunch at 3pm', getting ample opportunity to sample Gaelic nightlife, and even getting an aussie song (Men at Work's 'land down under') played for my honour by Aisling's boyfriend's pub band. !
In the time we weren't up and out about, I found myself scrapping about on a spare guitar they had, and ended up being able to take one back with me *awesome* -so now my new project is teaching self to play it! Felt like a real indie musician carting it back on the train, with me, then waiting alongside it for the bus in the city. Hoping not too many people would notice the fact it only had 1 string ;)


Up to more current events; who says uni balls are not for au pairs? Thanks to host aunt working at the uni and generously deciding to do some ticket scouring, I scored tix to the '09 University College Dublin ball/ rock concert on friday!! Went and helped the student council guys set up in the morning, doing odd things like arranging fruit bowls in the artists' rooms (including S Club 7) and trying to make triangle formations out of coronas. Come the night and the grey clouds loom threateningly overhead. The whole venue is an open carpark, so when it starts to rain, typically irishly, the party rebells on, and my au pair friend Bianca and I give our best scoffs at the people seeking comfort in their hoodies as we let drenched-wet hair propel around us and threaten to take out any irish youth in our dance jam. Bring on the rainstorm!!

No comments:

Post a Comment